Click to your resume and portfolio below.
You shoot, we edit. TRASH makes it possible for you to edit video clips together on your phone with one tap. Video is the fastest growing communication medium, yet the art of video editing is incredibly difficult!
We’re seeking a product designer who is “full stack” with their design toolkit, and can work along the whole spectrum from the “back end” of user research/UX through to the “front end” of UI/visual design, with a strong emphasis on the latter. You are are a stickler for the details of a mobile interface and care deeply about your craft and execution.
Additionally, you are low key into photo or video and have some literacy with cameras and/or camera interfaces. You’re interested in creating culture, platforms for visual expression, and pop culture.
Contract (~3m) to FT in NYC
You will help build a seriously cool video app alongside a small team (under 10) who are passionate about their work. It’s challenging, the scope is wide, there’s a ton of autonomy, and this is a design led company founded by humans who care about and prioritize experiences and aesthetics – the CEO is also a designer. Unlike many tech companies, at TRASH, designers and engineers are equals.
Your day to day would include working through product invention and decisions with the founders, prototyping and designing your ideas, working closely with the engineers on the execution of the iOS app, and of course constant testing and feedback with users.
+2 years of consumer facing design experience doing the following:
• Creating design artifacts from inception to final production, including but not limited to sketches, user-flows, prototypes, UI/visual design
• Building and maintaining a big ‘ol bag of scrappy tools when it comes to user research, experimentation, and soliciting continuous customer feedback to pay down your uncertainty and gather insights for your designs.
• Testing your designs with users for usability, concepts and other things (again, you would not be the only one doing this but we expect you to have an opinion on when it’s important!) Iterating on your designs when they don't work.
• Giving and getting feedback a cross-functional team, and best practices around critique / design review including active listening.
• Making strategic design decisions supported by design thinking/theory, research data, business goals and brand ethos
• Always keeping the user at the center of your work, especially when dealing with complex back end, business or legal nuance that is not the user’s problem 🙂
• Strong ability and interest in creating production assets for iOS, with an excellent knowledge of visual and interaction design including typography, icon design and gestural interactions.
• Working cross functionally in a small team, in particular partnering with engineers
• Are a curious human who likes to learn new things and is especially down to dive into complex technical topics and learn about them
• Are self-motivated and comfortable working with ambiguity. You know how to get in front of things and are proactive, not reactive
• Have the ability to manage interns and coordinate freelancers for shoots, one-off projects, events etc.
• Don’t mind wearing many hats from product marketing to putting logos on swag to wrangling ad copy to helping build presentations. We all do it.
• Video editing and motion graphics skills (Final Cut, Premiere, After Effects)
• 3D modeling for specific assets (Cinema 4D)
• We certainly don’t expect it, but any experience with the following would be amazing: knowledge of Swift / Obj-C to convert designs and prototypes to functioning code that can be handed off to an engineer. XCode / Storyboards – specifically UIKit, AppKit, Core Animation, View Controllers and View Transitions.
• Learn from three founders who have built wild tech & beloved consumer brands
• Flexible hours, fun humans, not bros
• Work out of an NYU space in DUMBO with snax, bridge views, and *roof deck*
HOW TO TELL US YOU’RE INTERESTED
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with: your resume and a link to your portfolio.